Thursday, August 12, 2004

"As in the daytime there is no star in the sky warmer and brighter than the sun, likewise there is no competition greater than the Olympic Games".
Pindar, Greek lyric poet, 5th century BC

OLYMPICS!!! Opening ceremonies start tomorrow and i am SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED! I'm really looking forward to this year's ceremonies, especially since the Games are being held in Athens. I can only imagine what the atmosphere in Greece must be like, considering the ancient games started there in 776 BC. (Can you tell ive been re-doing my research???... i did a huge project on the ancient games in middle school. heh) I just love the idea of tradition, discipline, sportsmanship, and pride that the Olympics embodies. It brings the world together not in the name of politics or the like, but in a celebration for achievement and excellence. LOL sorry i can go on for days about my respect for the Olympics. What i'd give to be in Athens tomorrow night. Hell, any night. Other than Australia (which i can check of my list), I've always dreamt of traveling to Greece and the Greek Aisles. I think i'm definitely a Mediterranean at heart. Well, since i can't be there, i'm definitely going to be watching it on TV. Friday, August 13th, 8pm Eastern on NBC. Watch it, people! In addition, here is the schedule for everyone of the upcoming games:



the games i will most definitely be trying to catch?:basketball, beach volleyball, boxing, diving, fencing, gymnastics, rowing, rhythmic gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming, synchronized swimming, tennis, track and field, triathlon, volleyball, weightlifting, and wrestling.

more info??
official site
NBC Olympics Front Page
TV Listings

I am a tad bit sad at the lack of promotion and commercialization the olympics has recieved in our neck of the woods. What happened to endless commercials with Olympians endorsing products and news specials on the games? *sigh*

In related news: So the other day, i found out that one of my co-workers is an ex-Olympian who competed in the 1996 Atlanta games. Isnt that unbelieveable?? She was on the national Bulgarian gymnastics team and they placed silver over-all, i believe. CRAZY! i feel like such a dork though cuz every time i work with her i feel like i'm in the midst of a celebrity. haha.

let the games begin! hooray!

No comments: